CTA; FAO; IFAD; WFP[logodrop][/logodrop]
See the presentation on food security and adaptation by IFAD here
See the presentation on food security and adaptation by FAO here
Climate change is predicted to have negative impact on food production and food security in many regions. In the quest to satisfy increasing demand for food and livelihood, farmers will either expand cultivated land or encroach on forests in search of non-timber food leading to deforestation and higher emissions. In this scenario, climate change can affect the decisions of people regarding farms and the forest. The round table will discuss the current knowledge and the critical gaps that need to be filled to optimize landscape and ecosystem approaches to support the sustainable intensification of agricultural, forestry and aquaculture production systems and adapt and build resilience to climate change. In particular it will review how climate smart agriculture approaches can support small holders, increase food security and meet rural development objectives. The role of social protection programmes and safety nets mechanism in building resilience in the most vulnerable food
insecure population will also be addressed.
Key questions the forum will address
- What are the challenges for food security and livelihood under changing climate and how can landscape approach contribute to responding to these?
- How can investments be strategically targeted to enable smallholders to tackle climate change challenges within a landscape?
- What are the key landscape interventions which can support rural/agricultural development and what are the main barriers to allow adoption?
- Which enabling measures, including safety nets, can help the most vulnerable people to benefit from landscape approaches for climate change adaptation?
- CCAFS CTA (2011) Farming’s climate-smart future: Placing agriculture at the heart of climate-change policy http://publications.cta.int/en/publications/publication/1662/
- FAO (2013) Climate-Smart Agriculture Sourcebook, available at www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3325e/i3325e.pdf
- FAO (2012) Mainstreaming climate-smart agriculture into a broader landscape approach available at http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/ap402e/ap402e.pdf
- WFP. Different examples of the role of safety nets and social protection programmes in building resilience. http://www.wfp.org/search/apachesolr_search/social%20protection
- IFAD (2013). Smallholders, Food Security and the Environment available at http://www.ifad.org/climate/resources/smallholders_report.pdf
- IFAD (2013). Increasing adaptive capacity through participatory mapping available at http://www.ifad.org/pub/map/pm_v.pdf
Contact details: Olu Ajayi: Ajayi@cta.int; Reuben Sessa: email@example.com
Manager, Compliance and Safeguards Division, the African Development Bank.
Climate Change Adaptation Specialist at International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
Ishmael Daniso Sunga
Chief Executive Officer of Southern African Confederation of Agricultural Unions (SACAU)
Manager, climate change resilience innovations, United Nations World Food Programme
Team Leader, Watershed Management and Mountains Forestry Department, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and Coordinator, Mountain Partnership Secretariat
Director of the Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation, (CTA), a joint EU-ACP organization
Natural Resources Office-Climate Change, Natural Resources Management and Environment Department, FAO
Leave a Reply